Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Zealand - a country full of adventure!!

Nick and I are loving our adventures in New Zealand! We started in Auckland until the 5th and then we picked up our campervan and headed north. This is a picture of Nick posed by a transit bus (one that had not taken out a traffic light control box like we witnessed the night before - we think a brake failure caused it and we were happy to be on the other side of the road when it occurred) advertising a Canadian product Canadian Club ginger ale which we found rather interesting. On departing Auckland, it was quite crazy having everyone staring at us as we drove past in our van which I have named Vincent. Our two mascots enjoyed getting out of the backpack and now have a front row seat on the dash. We bought a coriander plant which also lived on the dash until the sunshine was too much for it!! Our campervan is an adventure within itself. No it is not the one with my name on - how cool would that have been? I had to get a picture of this! Many students have asked if I could get a magic school bus to go on adventures with them and I found the perfect one here but alas someone else had rented it. So here is Nick in our humble home, Vincent the Wicked campervan - filled with spelling mistakes on one side (just wonderful for a teacher to be in huh?) But it is a wonderful experience nonetheless!! In the first few days we were travelling north we stayed in Whangerei and checked out the beautiful falls then headed to Russell where we stayed two nights. In Russell we went kayaking down to the oyster farms and enjoyed the sights! In the evening we were lucky to be invited out to fish with Kahu and Nick and I were in absolute awe with the scenery of the Bay of Islands. We could not believe the kindness this gentleman showed us by taking us with him to fish and it was my first fishing trip at that!! There is a picture of Kahu with Nick at his kayak stall in Russell. With beginner's luck, I actually caught two snapper fish!! Talk about the excitement I felt at this accomplishment! Kahu cleaned the fish and Nick and I cooked them up for breakfast at Long Beach. At Long Beach we explored the countless rock pools and watched the locals pick mussels off the rocks.
After this exciting adventure, we did not want to leave Russell but hopefully Kahu and family will travel to Canada one day and experience the sugar bush with us one day. Our next stop was Matai Bay and Karikari Beach then onwards to Cape Reinga. On our way we drove Vincent onto 90 mile beach which was awesome!! I even drove too!! (I suppose Nick wasn't worried about me hitting anything except for the odd seagull!) The cape was beautiful - this is where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean meet - an incredible sight! Our night at a campsite by the cape was an experience we will never forget - it was rainy and we ate in the van leaving the doors open a wee bit too long and a family reunion of mosquitoes occurred right when we crawled into our doona. The carnage was terrible as Nick and I set out to rid our van of them. Nick reckons it was uglier than a Lord of the Rings battle scene! But we survived - barely and we've learned our lesson! (Although to have this many mosquitoes is rare in New Zealand!)
The next day we travelled through the Kauri Forest region and I literally fell in love with these gigantic trees but these storeis will have to wait for our next blog!! Hope all is well - only 10 days left...

No comments: