Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ireland Adventures Sept 10-12

The Ireland adventure continued from Dingle to Schull. We drove the Ring of Kerry and took a side trip to Valentia Island which gave extraordinary views. It was very windy and rainy this day and, as luck would have it, every time we got out of the car, we got soaked!! First picture is of the Ring of Kerry and the second is the view from Valentia Island.



















On Valentia island, we visited a slate mine. The huge chunks of slate just lying about were incredible!! Awesome samples for grade 9 geography and Earth and Space Science but I didn't have enough room in my pack to bring any home!! Plus Nick knew he'd be the one carrying them and I got quite the look!! It was a working mine so I don't think the people running the mine just gave out free samples anyway!!









On Thursday, we were in Schull and we took several of the walks we found in the visitor brochure. The most interesting was the one taken from our Bed and Breakfast - Stanley House. We travelled up a hill and then onto small laneways that took us over a cliff to breathtaking views on the other side. This is a shot from one of those spots. I look great in my Mr Incredible jacket that just loves the wind!!
























The rest of the day we drove to the most southwesterly point of Ireland - Mizen Head. It was a single laneway up a steep cliff with little passing room when you met another vehicle. As per usual, I closed my eyes and all was well. Nick was driving of course!!



















This is a picture taken from the Mizen Head coastline!! We crossed this footbridge - built in the ealy 1900's across the chasm to Mizen Head. At Mizen Head, there are a number of displays about shipwrecks and stories of the sea. In one particular display, a ship departed from Halifax, Nova Scotia of the 'United States'!! It actually said this on the display board!! Nick pointed it out to me then proceeded to inform the gentleman working there so hopefully this may be changed at some point!!








The best example of a folded mountain I think I have ever seen!! So I am including this for all those geo-types out there!! Isn't it a beaut?







On our way out of Mizen Head, we noticed this beautiful beach and I even went wading in the water. It was rather CHILLY though!!

As well we stopped at Drombeg Stone Circle - it reminded us of a mini Stonehenge!!



We spent Thursday night at the Rockview Bed and Breakfast in Kinsale and enjoyed being back in this coastal town. Lots of entertainment in the pub - this time by Liam O'!! The next day - we were up early and back to the airport to return to England! A great trip!!

No comments: